The human body is up to 75% water, dependent on age. This infographic above really tells the startling story that less than 1% of the water on our planet is drinkable. Water is undoubtedly the most sought after precious resource on Earth, oil need not apply. Maybe that is because humans cannot survive without water for more than 1 week. By comparison we can survive without eating food for 1 month. It is easy to forget to drink enough water, especially when you are on the go and need it the most. Lets remind ourselves why continually drinking water is good for us in so many ways.
Benefits of drinking water:
- Natural remedy for headaches, including hangovers
- Less likely to get common sickness and more likely to remain healthy
- Keeps joints lubricated and working correctly which can lead to a lower chance of sprain or cramps, Anti-Inflammatory
- May help with weight loss
- Moisturize and replenish skin tissue
- Aids in digestion, flushing out toxins and waste from body
- Regulates your body temperature, improving affects of exercise on the body and muscles
- Helps to improve your mood
- Dehydration causes stress and brain malfunction
- Most importantly Staying alive
How much water should I be drinking? At a minimum, six to eight 8-ounce glasses of water. For those that are more active and use more engergy, drink more. Use the six to eight glasses as a bare minimum.
Control the quality of your water at home with a filter. I have used many different water filters. From the under-the-sink type to a refrigerator filter to reverse osmosis to a gravity filter. I highly recommend the portable and good looking stainless steel Big Berkey. It's gravity filter can filter untreated pond water and turn it into drinking water. While I have not tested this claim out, I can say that the water is the best that I have ever tasted. And knowing that chlorine, fluoride and other harmful chemicals are removed from my water makes it taste even better. I admit it, I am a water snob and scoff at the sight of Brita "filters" and their widespread franchise.
Use stainless steel containers to store and drink your water. I prefer to use Klean Kanteens because the stainless steel will not leach any chemicals into water, such as Bisphenol-A (aka BPA) commonly found in plastics used for food and beverage storage. I have different size Kanteens for different occasions. Fill up the 40 ounce Kanteen with your water of choice and bring it to work, school or play.
I will leave you with a car buying related water tip: It takes 39,090 gallons of water to make a new car, including tires. Another good reason to buy a used or Certified Pre-Owned vehicle. The best reason being the money savings on depreciation after driving that new car smelling car off the lot. - GreenUp! Guy